Rumor has it there’s this big football game happening next weekend. Apparently lots and lots of people will be watching and Bruno Mars is performing at half-time so it must be a really big deal. I have to admit, I’m not a very big football fan (can you tell?) but I happen to be married to one so I’ll be watching the Bruno Mars Show, whoops – I mean the Super Bowl – right along with him. I love Bruno Mars (can you tell?).
Since we’ll be watching football, it’s time to talk about football food. The idea of baking a batch of chili dogs in the oven has been floating around from blog to blog for quite some time. If you like to gaze at zillions of pictures of food on Pinterest when you wake up in the middle of the night, like I do, you may have seen something similar. This one pan method means incredibly easy cleanup which is always a huge bonus in my book.
Here’s my take on it.
You’ll need the usual suspects – hot dogs, buns, a can of chili with beans or without (whatever you like), shredded cheddar and jack cheese, and a red onion.
Here’s the ingredient that I think makes these so special – Mezzetta Deli Sliced Jalapeno Peppers. I’m using the “Tamed” variety which adds tons of flavor and just a touch of heat. If you like these very spicy, go with the “Hot”. But be warned, “Hot” is HOT!
The pan you see above is a skosh bigger than 13″ x 9″ which is just perfect to fit 8 hot dogs. If you have something similar, go with it. If not, just grab your 13″ x 9″. If they are too squished, just do 7. Line the dish with foil and then place the buns with hot dogs inside.
Divide the chili, straight from the can, evenly between the hot dogs.
Next, top it all of with some shredded cheddar and jack cheese.
Scatter some diced red onion and diced jalapeno peppers over the top of it all. Cover the pan with a large piece of foil that has been coated on the underside with some non-stick cooking spray so that none of that glorious cheese will stick to the foil when you remove it later.
After 30 minutes in the oven you’re ready to serve.
The chili dog. Universally loved. Quickly consumed. You might want to make two batches.
- 1 (8 count) package hot dog buns
- 1 (8 count) package of hot dogs
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili (with our without beans)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup diced jarred jalapeno pepper rings (mild or hot)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 13" x 9" or slightly larger dish with foil.
- Place hot dog buns in prepared pan and spread open slightly. Place a hot dog in each bun. Top each hot dog with some chili, dividing evenly between all the dogs. Evenly distribute the cheese over the top and then top with the diced red onion and jalapeno rings.
- Spray the back side of another large piece of foil with non-stick cooking spray. Cover the pan with the foil, coated side down. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, remove foil and allow to sit for a couple of minutes. Use a spatula to remove chili dogs from pan.
Adapted from In the Wabe