This Tex-Mex inspired recipe for the slow cooker is perfect for a busy weeknight when you have lots of hungry folks to feed. Start it before you leave for the day and come home to tender, tasty shredded chicken that can be used in a variety of different ways – from burritos, to tacos, to rice bowls.
The new school year starts late for my college boys so while it seems everyone else is in the midst of the back to school rush, we’re enjoying their last few weeks of summer break. We’ll be driving Boy #4 back to Santa Barbara next month to resume his second year of college (how is this possible?) and things will quiet down a bit with just four of us left in the house. It’s kind of humorous when four seems like a small number.
This meal is totally in order on busy days when I have a house full. It’s wholesome, substantial, and it makes a good amount which means – leftovers! Leftovers are always a bonus in my book and this chicken reheats beautifully.
The super simple prep consists of placing a couple of pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker. Sprinkle in a couple of tablespoons of taco seasoning – I always use my own mix but you can go with one of the ready to go mixes from the store if you prefer. Then just layer it up with a can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes, a can of rinsed and drained black beans, some frozen corn (straight from the freezer), chopped onion, and a can of diced green chiles. Pop the cover on and cook it on LOW for about 7 or 8 hours or on HIGH for 5 to 6 hours, or until the chicken shreds easily.
Grab a couple of forks and shred the chicken into the cooking liquid.
And, that’s all there is to it! Grab some flour or corn tortillas and the standard burrito/taco garnishments and you’re ready to go.
My favorite way to serve it is piled on top of rice with a little cheese, avocado, cilantro, and sour cream. Totally delicious. This is a mild, family-friendly dish but you can bring on the heat by adding your favorite salsa.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts (2-1/4 to 2-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles, undrained
- 1/2 cup diced white or yellow onion
- Flour or corn tortillas
- Prepared white or brown rice
- Sour Cream
- Place chicken in your slow cooker. Sprinkle with taco seasoning. Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours or HIGH for 5 to 6 hours, or until chicken is fork tender and easy to shred. Use two forks to shred chicken into cooking liquid.
- Serve over rice or as taco or burrito filling.