Skillet Chicken and Biscuit Pot Pie
A creamy, chicken and vegetable studded filling is topped with biscuit pieces and baked until bubbly and golden brown. This family-friendly Skillet Chicken and Biscuit Pot Pie is an easy, comforting weeknight dinner choice.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup chopped carrots about 2 medium
- 3/4 cup chopped celery about 2 stalks
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves not ground
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk I use 2%
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast meat rotisserie chicken is a great choice
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 16.3 oz can refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (8 biscuits)
Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Add butter to a 12" oven-proof skillet (cast iron is preferable) and place over MEDIUM-HIGH heat. Once butter has melted, add onions, carrots, celery, thyme, seasoned salt and pepper; cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Stir in flour; cook 1 to 3 minutes or until beginning to brown. Gradually stir in broth and milk, cooking and stirring 1 to 3 minutes longer, until bubbly and thickened. Stir in chicken, peas, corn, and parsley. Remove from heat.
Separate dough into 8 biscuits. Cut each biscuit into fourths. Top chicken mixture with biscuit pieces.
Bake in preheated oven for 16 to 20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Adapted from Pillsbury.com
Calories: 258kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 60mg | Sodium: 397mg | Potassium: 381mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 3355IU | Vitamin C: 12.4mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 1.2mg