Sausage White Bean and Kale Stew
This rustic, comforting Sausage White Bean and Kale Stew is just the thing you need to warm you up on a chilly day. A wonderfully easy, delicious, and satisfying fall meal.
- 14 ounce fully cooked smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus additional as needed
- 1 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 medium carrots peeled and coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces baby bella brown mushrooms, quartered
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 4 cups packed coarsely chopped kale
- 1 28 ounce can Italian-style crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans small white beans rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- shredded or shaved Parmesan for garnish
Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over MEDIUM heat. Add sausage to pan and saute for 5 to 6 minutes or until sausage is nicely browned. Remove sausage to a plate and keep warm. Add additional olive oil to pot, if necessary. Add onion, carrots, mushrooms, and celery into the Dutch oven. Cook, stirring, for several minutes until veggies have softened slightly. Add the kale and cook, stirring for just a minute or two to wilt the kale. Add the crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, white beans, thyme, marjoram, salt and pepper. Add sausage back to the pot. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
Increase heat under pot and bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to LOW and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes. Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.
Calories: 107kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 264mg | Potassium: 594mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 7920IU | Vitamin C: 57.3mg | Calcium: 98mg | Iron: 1.3mg