Creamy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole
This old school casserole is brought up to date with a cheesy, creamy, from-scratch sauce. Creamy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole is a comforting, family-pleasing meal.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts approximately 1¼ to 1½ pounds, chopped into bite size pieces
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup diced white or yellow onion
- ½ diced celery
- 3 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- ½ cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk reduced fat or whole, warmed in microwave for approximately 1 minute
- 1½ teaspoons Lawry's Seasoned Salt or your favorite all-purpose seasoning
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper or to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup grated or shaved Parmesan
- ½ cup Italian seasoned Panko bread crumbs
Cook rice with water according to package directions.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F and coat and 13- x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Add vegetable oil to a large pan or Dutch oven and place over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and cooked through; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer cooked chicken to a plate and set aside. Add onion, celery, and broccoli to pan and cook, stirring occasionally for several minutes until broccoli is bright green and just slightly softened. Add mushrooms and garlic and saute for another 3 or 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the flour and cook, whisking, for about two minutes. Gradually whisk in the warm milk. Continue to cook, whisking, until thickened. Add seasoning salt and fresh ground pepper and stir to combine. Remove the pan from the heat and add the mozzarella and cheddar cheese, stirring until cheese has melted.
Add the cooked rice, chicken, and cheese sauce to the cooked vegetables in the Dutch oven and stir to combine. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan and bread crumbs. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and set oven to BROIL and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes until topping is lightly golden brown.
Calories: 557kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 114mg | Sodium: 1237mg | Potassium: 766mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 871IU | Vitamin C: 44mg | Calcium: 501mg | Iron: 2mg