Mexican Stuffed Peppers
A delicious filling made with seasoned ground beef, rice, black beans, and corn is topped with cheese and baked inside pretty colored bell peppers. Mexican Stuffed Peppers are a vibrant, super tasty meal.
- 6 to 8 bell peppers any color
- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning (or store-bought)
- 1/2 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 14.5 ounce can fire roasted, diced tomatoes
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cup cooked long grain white rice see note below
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles, drained
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn no need to thaw
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded cheese cheddar, Jack, or Mexican blend
- Optional toppings - sour cream thinly sliced green onion, chopped avocado, olives, chopped cilantro, diced tomato, salsa
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Slice tops off peppers, remove seeds and trim ribs, if necessary. Place peppers in a baking dish and add about 1-inch of water. Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, until slightly tender. Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Remove peppers from baking dish and pour off water. Return peppers to baking dish.
While peppers are in the oven, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to a large saute pan and place over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and cook, stirring to break up the beef, until browned and cooked through. Drain off as much grease as possible from the pan. Return the pan to the heat, add onion and garlic and cook till tender. Reduce heat to medium and add the taco seasoning, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, rice, green chiles, frozen corn, crushed red pepper (if using), and 1 cup cheese. Cook until combined and cheese has melted.
Fill peppers with the beef mixture and return to baking dish. Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes to 30 minutes, or until peppers are very tender and filling is heated through. Remove foil, top with remaining shredded cheese, and bake for an additional 5 minutes until cheese has melted.
This recipe will make enough to fill 6 large or 8 medium sized bell peppers.
Cook your rice before beginning filling. To yield 1-1/2 cups cooked rice, use 1/2 cup rice to 1 cup water and cook according to the package directions.
Feel free to make some or all of the following changes to suit your nutritional preferences:
- Substitute lean ground turkey for the ground beef
- Use brown rice in place of the white rice
- Reduce or eliminate the cheese in the filling
Calories: 387kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 71mg | Sodium: 689mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 8g