Chicken Tortilla Soup
This substantial Mexican-inspired soup takes only 30 minutes to make. A great choice for a busy weeknight!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or more as needed to reach desired consistency (I used 3 cups)
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounces canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces canned corn, drained or 1-1-2 cups frozen corn
- 7 ounces canned diced green chiles
- 2 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Sliced olives
- Sliced green onions
- Diced fresh tomatoes
- Diced avocado
- Shredded cheese
Heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan over MEDIUM-HIGH heat. Add the diced onion and saute for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Stir in the minced garlic and continue sauteing for 1 minute. Add the chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper, and cook for another 2 minutes.
Add the chicken broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil over MEDIUM heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the beans, corn, green chiles, chicken, and cilantro. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
Lade the soup into bowls and top with a handful of crushed tortilla chips and any of the optional toppings.
Calories: 231kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 938mg | Potassium: 827mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 569IU | Vitamin C: 27mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 4mg