Southwest Chicken Tortilla Pinwheels
The classic party appetizer with a Southwest twist. These pretty Southwest Chicken Tortilla Pinwheels are made ahead and are waiting for you in the refrigerator to slice and serve at party time. A great addition to your appetizer menu at any time of year.
- 1 (8 ounce) package Neufchatel (light) or regular cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1 (10 ounce) can RoTel Tomatoes, drained slightly
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt like Lawry's
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 (2.25 ounce) can chopped olives
- 1 jalapeno seeded as desired and diced (optional)
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 5 large burrito size flour tortillas or wraps in assorted flavors
Use a mixer to combine cream cheese, sour cream, diced tomatoes, garlic, and seasonings. Use a spoon to stir in cheese, green onion, olives, jalapeno (if using), and shredded chicken.
Divide mixture between the tortillas, spreading out evenly leaving about a 1/2" border at the edge. Roll up tightly. Wrap rollups tightly in plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator to chill for at least an hour or until ready to serve.
Remove from refrigerator and use a sharp knife to slice into 2" pieces.
If you don't want to use a rotisserie chicken, here is how I cook my own. Place a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 large or 2 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts and cook just long enough to get a good sear, about 3 minutes per side. Season both sides of the chicken with some seasoning salt (like Lawry's) and fresh ground black pepper while browning. Lower heat to medium-low and add 1 cup of chicken broth. Cover skillet and let the chicken simmer for about 10 minutes or until cooked through and tender enough to shred. Remove from heat and when cool enough to handle use two forks to shred the chicken. Let cool completely before adding to cream cheese mixture and proceed with recipe as directed.
Prep time includes one hour chilling time.
Calories: 140kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 373mg | Potassium: 123mg | Vitamin A: 210IU | Vitamin C: 2.8mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 0.8mg