Crock-Pot Chicken Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
These Crock-Pot Chicken Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches have tender shredded chicken, peppers, and onions piled on hoagie rolls with melted cheese. Let your slow cooker do the work and come home to an easy, delicious meal.
- 1 white or yellow onion thinly sliced
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic pepper
- 1 16 ounce jar Mezzetta Deli-Sliced Mild Pepper Rings, drained (reserve brine)
- 1/2 16 ounce jar Mezzetta Deli-Sliced Roasted Bell Pepper Strips, drained
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup reserved Mezzetta Deli-Sliced Mild Pepper brine
- 6 to 8 hoagie rolls
- 6 to 8 slices white American cheese or provolone
Place the sliced onions over the bottom of your slow cooker insert. Place chicken over the onions and sprinkle the chicken with the Italian seasoning and garlic pepper.
Scatter the drained Mild Pepper Rings and Roasted Red Bell Pepper Strips over the top of the chicken. Pour chicken broth and 1/4 cup of the reserved brine from the Mild Pepper Rings around the chicken.
Place cover on slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours, until chicken is tender and easy to shred.
Transfer cooked chicken to a cutting board and use two forks to lightly shred it, leaving some good bite-size pieces. Transfer shredded chicken back to slow cooker and stir it into the cooking liquid, combining well with the peppers and onions.
Serve up on hoagie rolls, top with cheese, and place under the broiler for a minute or two until cheese is melted.