No-Bake Granola Bars
These No-Bake Granola Bars with peanut butter and chocolate chips are a fun, portable snack option for the kiddos (and you!). They are quick and easy to make and can be customized to your taste.
Servings: 12 bars
- 2 ½ cups crisped rice cereal like Rice Krispies
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- ½ cup coarsely chopped raw almonds optional
- ½ cup coarsely chopped roasted salted peanuts optional
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ honey
- ⅓ cup light corn syrup
- ⅔ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- dash of salt
- 1 cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
Coat a 13- x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Combine the cereal, oats, and nuts (if using) in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
Combine the brown sugar, honey, corn syrup in a small saucepan over MEDIUM heat. Heat just until boiling, then remove from the heat and add the peanut butter, vanilla, and salt and stir until smooth. Pour over the dry mixture and mix well. If necessary, coat your hands with nonstick cooking spray and use your coated hands to combine well. Add the chocolate chips, tossing to distribute throughout.
Press the mixture down evenly into the prepared baking dish using the back of a large spoon or a piece of wax paper.
Refrigerate for an hour or two before cutting into bars
Store in an airtight container. For firmer textured bars keep the container in the refrigerator. For softer, chewier bars, store the container at room temperature.
For a nice effect, I like to reserve a handful of chocolate chips and press them into the top of the granola bar mixture after it has been pressed into the pan.
No-Bake Granola Bar Variations
- Substitute almond butter for the peanut butter for a different flavor profile.
- Add any dried fruit you love - cranberries, raisins, apricots, or cherries are all great choices. Chop larger fruits into small pieces, if needed.
- Try butterscotch chips in place of chocolate. Butterscotch and peanut butter are a delicious combination!
- Replace a little of the cereal or oats with some dried, shredded coconut. You want to be sure to keep the dry ingredient ratio the same to avoid a dry result.
- Use any nuts or seeds you love in place of the almonds and/or peanuts.
Serving: 1bar | Calories: 369kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 148mg | Potassium: 345mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 390IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 3mg