Crock Pot Chile Verde
Lean pork cooks low and slow in a delicious green sauce until perfectly fork tender. This easy Crock Pot Chile Verde is a delicious, busy day choice!
Servings: 6 to 8 servings
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil or as needed
- 2 to 2¼ pounds pork sirloin tip roast or pork tenderloin sliced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 heaping cup diced sweet yellow onion approximately 1/2 a large onion
- 1 heaping cup diced celery 3 to 4 stalks
- 1 jalapeno seeded as desired and diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 16 ounce jar of tomatillo or green (verde) salsa
- 10 ounce can of green enchilada sauce (I like Hatch brand)
- 15 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups white rice cooked according to package directions
- avocado and sour cream for garnish
Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to a large sauté pan and place over MEDIUM-HIGH heat. Add the chopped pork and season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir until lightly browned. Add the dried minced onion and cook and stir for another minute or two. Transfer the pork to the slow cooker.
Add the remaining vegetable oil to the same sauté pan and place it over MEDIUM heat. Add the onions, celery, garlic, and jalapeno. Cook and stir for two to three minutes, until the vegetables have softened a bit. Transfer the vegetables to the slow cooker with the browned pork.
Add the green salsa, green enchilada sauce, diced tomatoes, and chicken broth and stir to combine. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for one hour. Turn to LOW and cook for an additional 5 to 6 hours or until the pork is fork tender.
Serve over rice with slices of avocado and sour cream garnish.
Combine any leftover rice with the chile verde. Freezes well.
Calories: 460kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 99mg | Sodium: 1561mg | Potassium: 904mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 1164IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 2mg