Skillet Sausage Pasta
Smoked sausage in a light tomato cream sauce with perfectly cooked penne pasta. This flavorful Skillet Sausage Pasta is an easy one-pot meal that is ready from start to finish in 30 minutes.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound fully cooked smoked sausage in your flavor of choice
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces dry, uncooked penne pasta (approximately 2½ cups)
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper or to taste
- ½ teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper each
- ½ cup half and half or heavy cream
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced green onions
Add olive oil to a deep skillet and place over MEDIUM-HIGH heat. Add the sausage and onions and cook until lightly browned, about 4 or 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or two until fragrant.
Add the broth, tomatoes, pasta, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, cover the skillet, and reduce heat to MEDIUM-LOW. Simmer until the pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.
Stir in the half and half or heavy cream and simmer for another minute or two until warmed through.
Remove the skillet from the heat, add the cheese and stir until melted. Sprinkle with the green onions and serve.
Calories: 725kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 43g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 106mg | Sodium: 1342mg | Potassium: 559mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 480IU | Vitamin C: 5.3mg | Calcium: 284mg | Iron: 2.4mg