A bevy of delicious, colorful ingredients including smoky black eyed peas, black beans, sweet corn, tomatoes, and avocado create this healthy and completely irresistible Cowboy Caviar. Guaranteed to go over in a big way at any gathering.
- 15 ounce can black-eyed peas rinsed and drained well (I like Glory Seasoned Southern Style)
- 15 ounce can seasoned or plain black beans rinsed and drained well
- ¾ cup frozen sweet corn thawed
- 3 green onions chopped
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper any color but I like to use green for nice color contrast
- 2 or 3 tomatoes diced
- 10 jarred jalapeno pepper slices (mild or hot) diced (can substitute a diced fresh jalapeno, if desired)
- ⅓ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 ripe avocado chopped
- tortilla chips for dipping
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ½ lime juiced
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Add the the olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, Dijon mustard, and salt and pepper to a small mason jar and shake to combine. Alternately, you can whisk the ingredients to together in a small bowl.
Combine the black-eyed peas, beans, corn, green onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, jalapenos, and cilantro in a medium bowl. Pour the dressing over the mixture. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Just before serving, add avocado and gently stir and toss to combine. Serve with tortilla chips or spooned over grilled steak, chicken, or fish.
Calories: 151kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 218mg | Potassium: 501mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 752IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 2mg