Coconut Curry Chicken
This Coconut Curry Chicken is a comforting, flavor-packed meal. Serve this curry infused chicken with cauliflower and red bell pepper over rice for a super satisfying dinner.
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and cut into julienne strips
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 14 ounces coconut milk light or regular
- 14.5 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper or to taste
- 2 cups cauliflower florets about half a head of cauliflower
- 3 cups cooked white or brown rice prepared according to package directions
Add the oil to a Dutch oven or large, deep sauté pan and place over MEDIUM heat. Add the curry and cook, stirring, for two minutes, to toast the curry. Allow the curry oil to brown but lower the heat, if needed, so that it doesn't burn. Stir in the onions and red bell pepper, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add chicken, tossing lightly to coat with the curry oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
Add the coconut milk, tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar, and crushed red pepper to the pan, and stir to combine. Add cauliflower. Increase heat to MEDIUM-HIGH and cook until mixture just comes to a boil. Reduce heat to LOW and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, approximately 30 to 40 minutes, or until cauliflower and bell pepper are tender.
Serve over rice.
Calories: 454kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 97mg | Sodium: 541mg | Potassium: 1027mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 955IU | Vitamin C: 54mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 3mg