This flavorful Turkey Chili recipe will satisfy even the heartiest of appetites. It’s packed with lean ground turkey, three kinds of beans, and a variety of Mexican spices. Serve it with the toppings of your choice for a delicious, comforting meal.
- 2 pounds 93% lean ground turkey
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 15 ounce can kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce can pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup red wine like cabernet sauvignon or pinot noir
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or to taste (optional)
- 2 dried bay leaves
- cheese, sour cream, cilantro, bell pepper, tomato
Coat the bottom of a large pot or Dutch oven with nonstick cooking spray and place over MEDIUM heat. Add the ground turkey and cook, stirring to break up the meat, for about 5 minutes or until fully cooked. Drain off any excess grease and return the pot to the heat.
Stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans, pinto beans, black beans, onion, garlic, and red wine. Season with the chili powder, cumin, parsley, oregano, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and bay leaves.
Bring the chili to a simmer over MEDIUM-HIGH heat, then reduce the heat to LOW, cover, and simmer for 1 ½ to 2 hours. Stir the chili occasionally as it simmers.
Remove and discard bay leaves before serving.
Slow Cooker Method
Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and place it over MEDIUM heat. Add the ground turkey and cook, stirring to break up the meat, for about 5 minutes or until fully cooked. Drain off any excess grease and transfer the ground turkey to a 6-quart slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients, as directed.
Cover and cook on LOW heat for 4 to 6 hours. Remove and discard the bay leaves before serving.
Calories: 426kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 84mg | Sodium: 730mg | Potassium: 1397mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1169IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 141mg | Iron: 8mg