Orzo Salad with Roasted Red Peppers, Spinach, and Feta
This Orzo Salad with Roasted Red Peppers, Spinach, and Feta is a light, fresh dish that is a delicious choice for a summer BBQ menu.
Lemon Honey Vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups orzo pasta
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup roasted red peppers, blotted dry and chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped baby spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted (heat them in a dry skillet over medium-low heat, tossing often until golden)
For the Lemon Honey Vinaigrette:
Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, and honey. Season to taste with a bit of salt and pepper. Set aside.
For the Orzo Salad:
Bring broth to a boil in a good sized saucepan or pasta pot. Add orzo and cook until tender according to package directions. Drain well in a fine mesh colander but do not rinse. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and toss with 1 or 2 teaspoons of the prepared dressing to prevent it from sticking. Let the pasta cool to room temperature. If making in advance, cover and refrigerate cooled orzo until ready to assemble salad.
Toss the cooled pasta with the roasted red peppers, spinach, basil, and green onions. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and stir to coat the ingredients with the dressing. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Sprinkle the feta and pine nuts over the top and toss lightly. Serve at room temperature.
Calories: 450kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 607mg | Potassium: 267mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 790IU | Vitamin C: 15.1mg | Calcium: 155mg | Iron: 2mg