Chicken and Spinach Skillet Pasta
Dry pasta cooks up perfectly tender in a luscious sauce with chicken, spinach and tomatoes in this one pot wonder. This utterly delicious Chicken and Spinach Skillet Pasta is on the table in about 30 minutes!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 14.5 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces penne pasta (uncooked) approximately 2 ½ cups
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper or to taste
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (part skim or whole) shredded
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a deep 12-inch skillet or sauté pan and place it over MEDIUM heat. Add the chopped chicken and cook, stirring frequently. Season the chicken with Italian seasoning, a touch of salt, and black pepper, and continue cooking for 3 or 4 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
Add the remaining olive oil to the pan and add the onions. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes, until softened and lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or two until fragrant. Add the broth, tomatoes, pasta, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Stir in the cooked chicken and bring to a boil, cover skillet, and reduce heat to MEDIUM-LOW. Simmer until the pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.
Stir in the half and half and mozzarella and simmer for minute or two until warmed through and the cheese has melted. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the fresh spinach until it wilts from the heat of the pasta. Top with Parmesan and serve.
Calories: 598kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 43g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 110mg | Sodium: 886mg | Potassium: 787mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 450IU | Vitamin C: 13.8mg | Calcium: 286mg | Iron: 2.1mg