Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice Skillet
Simple ingredients all cooked together in one skillet create this Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice Skillet. A hearty, delicious, one pot meal for a busy weeknight.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional if needed
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced, optional
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup long grain or Jasmine rice uncooked
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup frozen corn do not thaw
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheese cheddar, jack, or a combination of both
- 3 green onions chopped
- salsa, avocado, sour cream, cilantro
Heat oil in a 12" saute pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and season with salt and fresh ground pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 to 6 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned. Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken to a dish and set aside.
Add additional oil to pan, if needed. Add onion, red bell pepper, and jalapeno (if using) to pan. Cook and stir for a couple of minutes and then add minced garlic. Cook for another minute or two, till veggies have softened. Add uncooked rice and cook for just a couple of minutes to lightly toast the rice. Stir in diced tomatoes, chicken broth, black beans, all seasonings, and the cooked chicken. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Remove cover and stir in frozen corn. Cook, covered, for another 5 minutes. Remove cover and sprinkle cheese over the top. Cover and cook over low heat until cheese has melted.
Sprinkle with chopped green onion and serve with optional toppings.
Calories: 682kcal | Carbohydrates: 78g | Protein: 45g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 95mg | Sodium: 1194mg | Potassium: 1417mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1585IU | Vitamin C: 47.8mg | Calcium: 259mg | Iron: 5.5mg