Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice Skillet
Simple ingredients all cooked together in one skillet create this Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice Skillet. A hearty, delicious, one pot meal for a busy weeknight.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus additional if needed
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced, optional
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup long grain or Jasmine rice uncooked
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes drained
- 2 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup frozen corn do not thaw
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese cheddar, jack, or a combination of both
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- salsa, avocado, sour cream, cilantro
Heat oil in a 12-inch sauté pan over MEDIUM-HIGH heat. Add the chicken and season with the salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 to 6 minutes or until the chicken is lightly browned. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken to a dish and set aside.
Add additional oil to the pan, if needed. Add the onion, red bell pepper, and jalapeno (if using) to the pan. Cook and stir for a couple of minutes and then add the minced garlic. Cook for another minute or two until the veggies have softened. Add the uncooked rice and cook for just a couple of minutes to lightly toast the rice. Stir in the diced tomatoes, chicken broth, black beans, all the seasonings, and the cooked chicken. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to LOW, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
Remove the cover and stir in the frozen corn. Cook, covered, for another 5 minutes. Remove the cover and sprinkle the cheese over the top. Cover and continue to cook over LOW heat until the cheese has melted.
Sprinkle with the green onion and serve with optional toppings.
Calories: 682kcal | Carbohydrates: 78g | Protein: 45g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 95mg | Sodium: 1194mg | Potassium: 1417mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1585IU | Vitamin C: 47.8mg | Calcium: 259mg | Iron: 5.5mg