This easy Cashew Chicken stir fry is loaded with chunks of tender chicken, vibrant veggies, and creamy cashews. A quick, wholesome dinner choice.
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, or as needed
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 red bell pepper chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup coarsely shredded carrot (I use the bagged variety)
- 1 cup quartered cremini mushrooms
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sliced green onions 1/2-inch thick, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ cup dry-roasted cashews unsalted
- sesame seed
- 4 cups cooked white or brown rice for serving
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger root
Place the chicken in a large mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add 2 tablespoons cornstarch and toss until all the chicken is well coated. Set aside.
Add all the stir-fry sauce ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
Heat a large skillet or wok over MEDIUM-HIGH heat. Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. When oil is hot add half the chicken and sauté for 4 minutes or until just lightly golden brown. You do not need to cook it through at this point. Transfer the browned chicken to a plate. Add the remaining vegetable oil to the skillet and repeat with the remaining chicken, transferring it to the plate when done.
Add the broccoli, bell pepper, and carrot to the empty skillet, adding more vegetable oil only if necessary. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are just crisp-tender. Add mushrooms, ½ cup green onions, and garlic and sauté for an additional minute or two, just to soften mushrooms and green onions slightly. Return the chicken to the skillet and add the cashews and stir fry sauce. Cook and stir until cashews have softened slightly, chicken is cooked through, and sauce is thickened and bubbly, about another 3 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining green onions and sesame seeds.
Spoon individual servings over cooked white or brown rice.
Calories: 344kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 593mg | Potassium: 385mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 4375IU | Vitamin C: 54.6mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 1.6mg