Melt in your mouth strips of sirloin and sliced cremini mushrooms, melded with a rich, creamy, perfectly seasoned sauce. This Beef Stroganoff recipe makes for a truly memorable meal.
- 3 pounds boneless top sirloin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup full-bodied red wine
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 12 medium cremini mushrooms, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup cream cheese or Neufchatel, softened
- 1/3 cup sour cream (I use light sour cream)
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- additional salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- long grain white rice or egg noodles, prepared according to package directions
Trim edges of sirloin of any excess fat. Thinly slice the meat and then slice each piece in half again lengthwise. Slices should be about 1/2 inch thick by about 2-inches long.
In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the butter with the vegetable oil. Brown the beef strips quickly in batches, seasoning with salt and pepper as they cook. Be generous with the pepper. Remove beef from pan to a dish and repeat with remaining beef.
Once all the meat is cooked, add onions and garlic to beef drippings in empty pan. Cook and stir for a couple of minutes. Add wine and cook for a minute or two. Add beef broth, Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce and cook and stir for another minute. Add beef strips and combine well. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until beef is fork tender.
Remove about 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid from the beef stroganoff to a small bowl. Add cornstarch to the liquid and mix until cornstarch has dissolved. Pour the cornstarch slurry into the beef stroganoff and cook, stirring, for a minute or two as sauce thickens slightly. Add sliced mushrooms and allow to cook, stirring occasionally about 10 minutes. Add cream cheese and sour cream, stir to combine and allow to cook another 5 minutes or until the cream cheese has completely melted into the sauce. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Sprinkle with fresh chives and serve over rice.
Prepare rice or egg noodles according to package directions about 20 minutes before ready to serve.
Nutrition information was calculated for Beef Stroganoff only and does not include the rice or egg noodles.
Calories: 334kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 114mg | Sodium: 724mg | Potassium: 938mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 181IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 3mg