Mom's Cheesy Bread Appetizers
These completely irresistible Cheesy Bread Appetizers are a great make-ahead recipe. This old family recipe is a holiday tradition.
Servings: 60 pieces
- 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cold butter (1 stick)
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 4 ounces chopped olives, drained
- 4 ounces diced green chiles, drained
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 jalapeno, seeded as desired and diced
- 10.75 ounces Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup
- salt and pepper to taste
- 60 packages sliced cocktail rye bread usually found in the deli section of the grocery store) or 2 french baguettes, sliced
Grate the cheese, butter, and hard boiled eggs into thick shreds either by hand or in a food processor. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To assemble appetizers: Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Spread the cocktail rye bread with some of the cheese spread. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and bread is slightly toasted. Let cool for a minute and move to a serving plate.
Spread can be kept covered in refrigerator for up to 3 or 4 days
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 78kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 171mg | Potassium: 53mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 168IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 1mg