Italian Turkey Meatball Subs
Incredibly tasty, from-scratch turkey meatballs and your favorite marinara combine to make a less-guilty version of this familiar old standard.
- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
- 3 links (approximately 1 pound) hot or mild Italian turkey sausage , casings removed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for garnish
- 3/4 cup Italian-style panko style breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated white onion
- 2 cremini brown button mushrooms, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley or 1 tablespoon dry parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 26 ounce jar marinara sauce
- 7 hoagie rolls
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella or provolone sliced
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and coat the foil generously with non-stick cooking spray.
In a bowl mix together all ingredients through minced garlic. Use clean hands to combine meat mixture. Form into meatballs and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes until cooked through.
Meanwhile, heat oven to BROIL and warm marinara sauce in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add cooked meatballs and allow to simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes. Spoon 4 meatballs with sauce on to each sandwich roll. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and top with sliced cheese. Place baking sheet under broiler until buns are lightly toasted and cheese has melted. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired, and serve.
Calories: 436kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 115mg | Sodium: 1486mg | Potassium: 762mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 825IU | Vitamin C: 9.2mg | Calcium: 438mg | Iron: 4.2mg