Chicken and Sausage Stew with White Beans and Spinach
An easy stovetop method and simple ingredients create this flavor-packed Chicken and Sausage Stew with White Beans and Spinach. A rustic, comforting choice for a cold winter evening.
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled, halved length-wise and sliced (½-inch slices)
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 cup diced sweet yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounces smoked sausage, sliced (chicken, turkey or beef)
- 29 ounces cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (2 14.5 ounce cans)
- 14 ounces fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste (optional)
- 5 ounces roughly chopped baby spinach big stems removed (about 3 cups, tightly packed)
- finely grated Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
Trim the chicken thighs of excess fat and cut into bite-size pieces.
Heat oil over MEDIUM-LOW heat in a large Dutch oven. Add carrots, celery, onions and garlic. Cook until onions are tender, about 5 or 6 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir until combined well with the veggies. Stir flour into carrot mixture until well blended. Gradually add broth and cook until mixture is thickened.
Increase heat to MEDIUM and add chicken, sausage, beans, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, paprika, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper (if using). Once mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat to LOW, cover the pot and simmer for 40 to 50 minutes, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked and fork tender. Stir spinach into hot stew and remove the pot from the heat. Allow the spinach to wilt from the heat of the stew and serve.
Serve with grated Parmesan.
Calories: 420kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 980mg | Potassium: 1034mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 4814IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 138mg | Iron: 6mg