Pizza Pasta Casserole
Everything you love about pizza in casserole form. This Pizza Pasta Casserole is the definition of a family-friendly meal!
- 12 ounces mezze rigatoni or other short pasta of your choice
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced bell pepper chopped (any color or combination or colors)
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 25 ounces marinara (reduced sodium or regular)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2.25 ounce can sliced black olives drained
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoni sliced in half (can use turkey pepperoni to reduce fat and calories)
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat the bottom of a 13- x 9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Boil the pasta 2 minutes shy of the package directions, about 11 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, place a skillet over MEDIUM heat. Add the ground beef and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned and crumbled. Drain the excess grease and return the skillet to the heat. Add the onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender about 3 or 4 minutes. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook and stir for another three or four minutes, to soften the mushrooms. Season with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Add the marinara and water and stir well to combine. Remove from the heat.
Transfer half of the cooked pasta to the prepared baking dish. Spoon half of the meat mixture evenly over the top. Scatter half the the pepperoni and olives over the sauce and sprinkle with half of the mozzarella and Parmesan (or Pecorino Romano). Repeat the layers ending with a final layer of the cheeses.
Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until bubbly and heated through.
Calories: 594kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 42g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 971mg | Potassium: 640mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1143IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 515mg | Iron: 3mg