There's no need to order takeout next time you're craving Greek food. These grilled Chicken Pitas are restaurant quality and easy to make at home!
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2½ cups well chopped romaine
- 1½ cups halved grape or cherry tomatoes I used a mix of red and yellow - so pretty
- 1 cup diced English cucumber
- ½ cup diced red or yellow bell pepper
- ½ cup pitted and sliced kalamata olives
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- sea salt to taste
Feta Dill Sauce
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup light sour cream
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk as needed
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ lemon juiced
- ¼ cup crumbled feta plus additional for sprinkling on top
For the Rest
- additional feta cheese for garnish
- 8 Greek flatbread pitas like Papa Pita white or wheat
For the Grilled Greek Chicken
Combine seasoning in a small bowl. Add olive oil and lemon juice and mix to combine.
Either pound or slice chicken breasts to ½-inch thickness. Place chicken in a gallon size zippered plastic storage bag and pour the marinade over the top. Seal the bag and push the chicken around until it is well coated with marinade. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 8.
Grill for 6 to 7 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reads 165 degrees F. Transfer the grilled chicken to a cutting board and slice it into small pieces.
For the Greek Salad
Combine the romaine, tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, kalamata olives, onion and parsley in a medium bowl and toss with olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. Can be made up to 2 hours ahead. Just cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
To cook the chicken on the stove instead of an outdoor grill:
- Most of the prep can be done in advance, saving you precious time when you are preparing your meal.
- Prepare the Feta Dill Sauce earlier in the day. Cover and refrigerate it until you are ready to serve.
- Assemble the Greek Salad up to two hours in advance. Cover and refrigerate it until ready to serve.
To keep this recipe light:
- Lightly coat a skillet or stovetop grill pan with olive oil and sear the chicken for 5 to 7 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reads 165 degrees F.
- Be sure to use the ingredients indicated to keep these pitas light, including nonfat plain Greek yogurt and light sour cream. Using different brands and substituting ingredients can alter the nutritional content.
Serving: 1pita | Calories: 418kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 772mg | Potassium: 718mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1965IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 126mg | Iron: 2mg