Shrimp and Spinach Pasta
This Shrimp and Spinach Pasta in a flavorful tomato-parmesan cream sauce is an irresistible one pot meal. Impressive enough to serve to guests but so easy you can make it any night of the week!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or enough to coat the bottom of your skillet
- 1 cup diced yellow or white onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 10 ounces dry uncooked penne pasta
- ⅓ cup half and half or heavy cream
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 1 pound raw shrimp, extra large (26-30) or large (31-40) peeled, deveined, tails removed (if frozen, thaw completely before beginning)
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over MEDIUM heat. Add the onion to the skillet, and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute or two.
Add the broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and the pasta. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Cover the skillet, reduce to LOW and simmer for 15 to 18 minutes, or until pasta is al dente.
Stir in the half and half or cream, half of the Parmesan, and the shrimp and cook over MEDIUM-LOW heat until the shrimp is opaque, slightly pink, and cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the spinach in a big heap on top. You want spinach to still have some life to it so remove the skillet from the heat after you add it and stir it in just until it wilts. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan over the top, and serve.
This recipe yields 4 generous servings with a good chance of leftovers.
I highly recommend picking up a bag of frozen raw shrimp that is peeled, deveined, and with the tails off for incredibly easy prep. I pick mine up at Costco. If the tails are still on, it's quick and easy to pull them right off. Safely thaw frozen shrimp in your refrigerator overnight before starting.
Calories: 565kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 43g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 304mg | Sodium: 1744mg | Potassium: 1043mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 3952IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 438mg | Iron: 7mg