A little sweet, a little tart, and so refreshing! The Paloma Cocktail may just become your new favorite tequila drink.
Servings: 1 cocktail
- coarse salt for rim
- ½ Ruby Red grapefruit sliced into small wedges as needed (see note below)
- 2 ounces fresh Ruby Red grapefruit juice from ½ grapefruit
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 ounces high quality 100% agave tequila blanco (silver tequila) like Patron, Don Julio, or Casamigos
- 1 to 2 ounces sparkling mineral water or club soda I like Pellegrino or Topo Chico
Pour some coarse salt on a small plate. Rub a grapefruit wedge around the edge of a lowball or whiskey glass then dip it into salt and twist until well coated.
Add the grapefruit juice, lime juice, tequila, sugar and ice. Stir well to dissolve the sugar. Top off with sparkling water, as desired.
Garnish with a small slice or wedge of grapefruit.
I recommend using Ruby Red grapefruit which tends to be a bit sweeter and has a pretty pink tint. One half of a grapefruit will yield enough juice to make several cocktails. Slice the remaining half into wedges for garnishing.
Easy Paloma Recipe
If you want to make it a super easy version of the Paloma Cocktail, you can skip the grapefruit juice, sugar, and sparkling mineral water and instead use a grapefruit soda, like Squirt or Jarritos. Using sweetened canned soda will increase the calories and I prefer the fresh flavor of real grapefruit juice. But in a pinch, they’re still very good.
Calories: 176kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 2mg | Potassium: 111mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 11IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 1mg