BBQ Chicken Salad (CPK Copycat)
This BBQ Chicken Salad has all the great flavor and crunchy texture of the famous salad from California Pizza Kitchen. This quick and easy no-cook salad is perfect for a busy day and it's loaded with everything you love about the restaurant version.
- 6 cups well chopped romaine lettuce
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro leaves thick stems removed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 cup corn kernels frozen or fresh (see Notes section below)
- ½ cup chopped jicama
- 15 ounces canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ⅓ cup ranch salad dressing
- ⅓ cup BBQ sauce divided
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast I use rotisserie chicken breast meat
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 limes cut into wedges
- 1 cup chopped roma tomatoes
- 1 avocado chopped
- Tortilla strips for garnish
In a large salad bowl, toss the lettuce, cilantro, basil, green onions, corn, jicama, beans, and cheese. Toss with the Ranch dressing and divide the mixture between 4 serving bowls.
In a separate small bowl, toss the chicken with pepper to taste, 1 tablespoon BBQ sauce, and 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice. Spoon the chicken in the center of each of the 4 bowls of salad and drizzle the chicken with the remaining BBQ sauce.
Scatter the tomatoes and avocado around the edge of each salad and sprinkle with tortilla strips. Serve with a lime wedge tucked into the bowl (it’s delicious to squeeze fresh lime juice over the whole thing before eating).
If using fresh sweet corn, boil it for about 3 minutes in a large pot of water, rinse with cold water, and use a sharp knife to slice the kernels off the cob.
If using frozen corn, thaw it in the refrigerator or place it in a colander and run cool water over it until thawed. Be sure to drain it very well before adding it to the salad.
Calories: 492kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 1021mg | Potassium: 1191mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 7243IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 320mg | Iron: 4mg