This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
I was just commenting to my husband that it feels as if 90% of my time away from work is spent consumed with all things food. Yes, I’m a food blogger, but this situation existed long before that started. As a matter of fact, it’s why it started. I am the youngest in a family of six and now the mother of four. When you have a large family, menu planning, grocery shopping, and preparing meals are extremely time and energy consuming tasks. And, then there’s the cost. Times are tight for a lot of folks, especially around the 1st and 15th of the month when all the bills come due. I learned by watching my mom and from my own experience raising and feeding four kids, some important strategies for staying on track with simple, wholesome, budget-friendly dinners.
One of those strategies takes place in the grocery store. I’m all about hunting for great deals and stocking up, which is exactly what happened last weekend. A great selection of pantry staples from Kraft are on rollback at Walmart. When you see deals like this, it’s time to stock the pantry with these versatile ingredients at super low prices.
For this recipe my grocery list included Kraft Zesty Italian Salad Dressing, Kraft The Pitmaster’s Choice Barbecue Sauce, and Kraft Light Mayo.
We start by grilling thin sliced boneless, skinless chicken breast marinated in Kraft Zesty Italian Salad Dressing. I basted the chicken with BBQ sauce while on the grill.
The Pitmaster’s Choice is a thick, flavor-packed sauce that was perfect on these sandwiches.
For even more BBQ flavor I whipped up this Smokey BBQ Sandwich Spread. A simple mixture of BBQ sauce, Kraft Light Mayonnaise, and a little smoked paprika combine to make a totally addictive spread for sandwiches. It also makes a great dipping sauce for chicken nuggets, french fries, or onion rings. I love this stuff!
The next component to this meal is a quick and easy Creamy Italian Coleslaw. The dressing consists of a little Kraft Light Mayonnaise and Kraft Zesty Italian Salad Dressing.
A simple and delicious way to dress a package of coleslaw.
Pile it all on to sandwich rolls and you have a budget-friendly, summer meal for six for under $20!
Zesty BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced all the way through the middle to create 6 thin-sliced pieces
- 1 cup Kraft Zesty Italian Salad Dressing divided
- 1/2 cup Kraft Light Mayonnaise divided
- 1/2 cup Kraft Pitmaster BBQ Sauce plus additional as needed for grilling
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 16 ounce package tri-color coleslaw mix
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 6 sandwich rolls
- Place thin-sliced chicken in a gallon sized food storage bag. Pour 1/2 cup salad dressing over chicken, seal the bag, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
- For the Smokey BBQ Sandwich Spread:Whisk together 1/4 cup light mayonnaise, 1/2 cup BBQ sauce, and 1 teaspoon smoked paprika in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Can be made in advance and refrigerated for one to two days.
- For the Creamy Italian Coleslaw:Just before you're ready to grill the chicken, place tri-color coleslaw mix and diced red onion in a large mixing bowl. Combine 1/4 cup light mayonnaise and 1/2 Italian salad dressing in a separate small bowl and pour over the coleslaw. Toss to combine. Place in refrigerator to chill while grilling chicken.
- When ready to serve, remove chicken from marinade and grill over medium heat, basting with BBQ sauce on both sides. Grill until chicken is completely cooked through and no longer pink in center.
- Serve on sandwich rolls with Smokey BBQ Sandwich Spread and Creamy Italian Coleslaw.