Chicken Tamale Casserole
This easy Mexican-inspired Chicken Tamale Casserole recipe includes ingredients you can easily stock for a no-sweat meal on a busy day.
- 1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 14 ounce can cream style corn
- 8.5 ounce corn bread mix (like Jiffy)
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles, drained
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (I use rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce (your favorite brand - I love Hatch)
- 4 ounce can sliced black olives
- 4 green onions, chopped
- sour cream, for serving
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Spray a 13-inch x 9-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. In a large bowl mix together 1/4 cup each of the cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese (1/2 cup total), milk, egg, cumin, pepper, creamed corn, cornbread mix, and green chiles.
Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until set. Remove the pan from the oven and pierce the surface liberally with a fork. Pour the enchilada sauce over top and use the back of a spoon to spread it out over the cornbread layer. Top with the chicken and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for an additional 15 to 18 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the olives and green onions and return to the oven for an additional 2 or 3 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
Cut into squares and serve with sour cream and tortilla chips on the side.
Calories: 428kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 97mg | Sodium: 1290mg | Potassium: 319mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 775IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 318mg | Iron: 2mg