Chicken Tortilla Casserole
This flavorful Chicken Tortilla Casserole is a snap to put together thanks to rotisserie chicken and a couple of pantry staples. This quick and easy recipe is a great meal solution for a busy week!
- 3 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken breast (use hands to shred)
- 1 cup sour cream (I use light)
- 16 ounces salsa verde, divided (I use Herdez Salsa Verde)
- 8 50/50 corn/flour blend tortillas, 6 inches (I use La Tortilla Factory brand)
- 10 ounce can Ro-Tel Tomatoes and Green Chilies, drained very well
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional toppings: Avocado slices, thinly sliced green onions or fresh cilantro leaves
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 13- x 9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
In a small bowl, combine the chicken, sour cream and 3/4 cup salsa. Pour 1/2 cup salsa on the bottom of the prepared baking dish and use the back of a spoon to spread it out.
Place 3 whole tortillas down one side of the baking dish, overlapping slightly. Slice 3 of the tortillas in half and place 3 of the halves on the other side of the dish with the cut side against the side of the dish to fill the open spaces(reserve remaining 3 halves). Spoon half of the chicken mixture over the tortillas and sprinkle with half the tomatoes, half the cilantro and half of the cheese. Repeat layers with remaining whole tortillas and tortilla halves, chicken mixture, tomatoes, cilantro and cheese.
Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until bubbly. Cheese should be melted but not browned. Remove from oven and let the casserole sit for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Serve with optional toppings and any remaining salsa verde on the side.
Ro-Tel Tomatoes and Green Chilies come in mild and medium. If you like things spicy, go with the medium. You really need to be sure to drain them well to remove as much juice as possible.
Flour tortillas can be used if preferred.
Calories: 597kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 58g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 187mg | Sodium: 1367mg | Potassium: 850mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1173IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 541mg | Iron: 2mg