Lemon Zucchini Coffee Cake
A burst of fresh lemon and shredded zucchini combine to create this moist and tender Lemon Zucchini Coffee Cake. This all-purpose cake is delicious with scrambled eggs in the morning or a cup of tea in the afternoon.
Lemon Zucchini Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 lemons zested and juiced, divided (use Meyer lemons if possible)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded unpeeled zucchini, loosely packed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon reserved lemon zest
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice, or as needed to reach drizzling consistency
Lemon Zucchini Cake
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl use an electric mixer to combine the sugar, yogurt, vegetable oil, eggs, 1/4 cup lemon juice (reserve 2 teaspoons juice for later), 2 teaspoons lemon zest (reserve remaining zest for later) and the vanilla extract. Mix until well combined. Use a wooden spoon to stir in the zucchini. Add the dry mixture and mix again just until combined.
Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish.
Place the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, remaining reserved lemon zest (about 1 teaspoon), salt, and butter in a small mixing bowl. Work the mixture with a pastry blender or fork for several minutes until the pieces of butter are pea-sized then use your hands to work the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the surface of the cake.
Bake for 35 to 42 minutes, or until the crumb topping is light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool for at about 15 minutes before drizzling with the lemon glaze.
Combine the powdered sugar, milk and as much of the remaining lemon juice as needed to reach a nice drizzling consistency (no more than 1 to 2 teaspoons). Drizzle over the crumb topping of the cake while it is still slightly warm.
Delicious served warm or cold.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 442kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 207mg | Potassium: 206mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 41g | Vitamin A: 222IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 2mg