French Onion Dip from Scratch
You don't need to rely on a packet of soup mix to create this delicious French Onion Dip from Scratch. It takes just minutes to put together with ingredients you may already have in your kitchen.
- 16 ounces sour cream light or regular
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon dried minced onions or to taste (see Recipe Notes below)
- 1/2 teaspoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt I use fine ground sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Optional for Serving
- baby carrots, celery sticks, sliced cucumber and Ruffles Potato Chips (a must!)
This recipe yields 2 cups of dip. Nutrition information was calculated with light sour cream.
I find that 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of dried minced onions is just the right amount. Taste the dip and add more, in very small increments if you want even more onion flavor.
Store the dip covered in the refrigerator. I recommend transferring it to an airtight container to keep it as fresh as possible. Homemade dairy based dips are best consumed within 3 to 4 days.
Serving: 4tablespoons | Calories: 85kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 207mg | Potassium: 144mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 187IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 1mg