Slow-Cooked 3-Bean Cowboy Beans
These Slow-Cooked 3-Bean Cowboy Beans are meaty, substantial and darn right delicious! They’ll make a great addition to your summer cookouts.
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 small red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 small poblano pepper seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 32 ounces pinto beans, rinsed and drained (2 16-ounce cans)
- 16 ounces light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 16 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup barbecue sauce your favorite brand
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon barbecue seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- bacon crumbles for serving (optional)
Spray the bottom and sides of an oval 6-quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large skillet, cook the bacon. Transfer to paper towels to drain and crumble when cool enough to handle
Heat vegetable oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and poblano pepper for 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened and beginning to brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the ground sirloin to the skillet. Sprinkle with the seasoned salt and black pepper. Cook for 10 minutes, or until no pink remains. Drain any excess fat from the pan and transfer mixture to prepared slow cooker. Add all the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker with the beef, except the bacon crumbles. Stir well to combine.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours or on LOW for 4 to 5 hours.
Stir well before serving and sprinkle with additional bacon crumbles, if desired.
Calories: 687kcal | Carbohydrates: 85g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 929mg | Potassium: 1366mg | Fiber: 21g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 963IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 146mg | Iron: 8mg