Tequila, fresh lime and orange juice combine to make a spectacular marinade for this juicy and flavorful Margarita Chicken. This versatile grilled chicken can be used as a base for a variety of delicious summer meals.
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
- ½ cup tequila
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 limes zested and juiced
- 1 large orange juiced
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 to 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro optional
If very thick, slice boneless breasts in half through the middle to create 2 thinner cutlets and place them in a gallon-size resealable plastic food storage bag.
Combine the remaining ingredients, except the cilantro, and pour it over the chicken. Seal the bag and refrigerate for at least 3 and up to 8 hours.
Grill the chicken over MEDIUM heat until cooked well throughout, approximately 6 to 8 minutes per side.
Slice the chicken and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve as desired with lime wedges on the side.
I don't recommend marinating the chicken overnight. Citrus juice works as a tenderizer and if it marinates too long, you could run the risk of damaging the texture of the chicken.
- Serve Margarita Chicken with simple summer sides like grilled corn and cherry tomatoes with basil for a super light and wholesome meal.
- Slice and serve it with flour tortillas and a variety of taco toppings.
- It's so good in burrito bowls with rice, beans, and a variety of toppings.
Calories: 409kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 49g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 145mg | Sodium: 465mg | Potassium: 926mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 305IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 1mg