Classic Layered Salad
A classic summer pot luck dish that is perfect when serving a large group. A little bit of everything in every bite! It can be prepared up to 24 hours in advance and it will be perfectly crisp and delicious when served.
Servings: 10 to 12 servings
For the salad:
- 1 head iceburg lettuce chopped, rinsed, and drained
- 3 or 4 medium tomatoes chopped
- 6 ribs celery chopped
- 1 bag colorful mixed spring greens
- 1 16 ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- 5 hard boiled eggs
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or to taste
- 8 strips bacon cooked, cooled, and crumbled
- 1 16 ounce bag frozen peas (do not thaw)
For the dressing:
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoning Salt or similar all-purpose seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Layer the salad ingredients in a clear trifle dish in the order listed.
Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Use a rubber spatula or icing knife to spread the dressing out over the frozen peas.
Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours before serving.