Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
This Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore is rustic, comforting dish that will satisfy your craving for Italian. This super tender chicken cooks in a tomato-based sauce with garlic, Italian herbs, and mushrooms.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine like sauvignon blanc, Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay
- 8 chicken thighs (bone-in) skin removed
- 28 ounce can San Marzano crushed tomatoes or other high quality tomato
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- shredded Parmesan cheese for garnish
- 8 ounces cooked pasta or 2 cups cooked rice for serving
Add the olive oil to a 12-inch skillet and place it over medium heat. Add the carrot, onion and garlic and sauté for 4 or 5 minutes, until the carrot and onion have just softened. Add the tomato paste, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper, and stir the mixture. Allow it to cook for 1 to 2 minutes to toast the spices. Add the wine and bring the mixture to a simmer.
Add the chicken to the slow cooker. Spoon the mixture from the skillet over the chicken and add the crushed tomatoes. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours, just until the chicken is tender and cooked through. Stir in the mushrooms and parsley, cover, and continue to cook for an additional 30 to 60 minutes on low, just until the mushrooms have softened.
Garnish individual servings with plenty of shredded Parmesan cheese, and serve over pasta or rice.
Serving: 2pieces | Calories: 530kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 49g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 194mg | Sodium: 674mg | Potassium: 1594mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 3368IU | Vitamin C: 27mg | Calcium: 147mg | Iron: 6mg