Meaty Tortellini Skillet
Turn a package of cheese tortellini into a delicious, satisfying meal in about 30 minutes. This Meaty Tortellini Skillet has a simple but super flavorful meat sauce and is topped with plenty of Parmesan cheese.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef , or Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 25 ounce jar marinara sauce (I like Mezzetta Marinara)
- 15 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 20 to 24 ounces refrigerated cheese tortellini or tortelloni (I like Rana or Kirkland brand)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 2/3 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese , divided
Add the olive oil to a large, deep sauté pan or Dutch oven and place it over MEDIUM heat. Add the beef (or sausage) and cook, stirring, until crumbled and browned. Drain off as much grease as possible and return the skillet to the heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened. Add the marinara, diced tomatoes, water, Italian Seasoning, and pepper. Stir to combine the mixture well. Stir in the uncooked tortellini. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to MEDIUM-LOW, cover, and simmer for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the tortellini is tender.
Stir in the cream (or half and half), cover and allow to simmer for a few minutes or until warmed through. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup Parmesan and serve with remaining Parmesan on the side.
Calories: 647kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 118mg | Sodium: 1456mg | Potassium: 673mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1076IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 355mg | Iron: 6mg