Turn a package of cheese tortellini into a delicious, satisfying meal in about 30 minutes. This Meaty Tortellini Skillet has a simple but super flavorful meat sauce and is topped with plenty of Parmesan cheese.
Oh, pasta. How we love you.
As a mom of four, I just love a recipe that appeals to all ages. This easy tortellini recipe definitely falls in that category. It’s hearty enough to satisfy your big eaters but those with lighter appetites can place a smaller spoonful on their plate next to a big serving of a veggie loaded green salad. I always attempt to do that latter but this tasty tortellini skillet makes it hard to be on my best behavior.
- Lean ground beef – I use 90% lean.
- Cheese tortellini or tortelloni – Either will work great. See my notes below for more details.
- Minced garlic
- Marinara sauce – A jar of your favorite brand of marinara sauce speeds this recipe right along!
- Fire-roasted diced tomatoes – Regular diced tomatoes will work but I love the extra flavor from the fire-roasted variety.
- Italian seasoning and freshly ground black pepper
- Heavy cream – You can substitute half and half to lighten it up a bit if you’d like.
- Grated Parmesan cheese
Tortellini vs. Tortelloni
This recipe came about in my quest to make use of the Kirkland 5 Cheese Tortelloni I pick up on almost every trip I make over to Costco. Yes, I spelled that right. Tortelloni is slightly larger version of traditional tortellini. Being a bit larger means more room for the creamy, cheesy filling. This is a plus in my book.
Don’t want to make a trip over to Costco? You should be able to find a 20-ounce family size package of Rana 5 Cheese Tortellini at most major grocery stores. Any refrigerated cheese tortellini will work just fine in this recipe.
You can have this one pot pasta dish on your table in 30 minutes. While it’s simmering you’ll have plenty of time to toss a green salad and warm some French bread to complete the meal.
How to Make Meaty Tortellini Skillet
You’ll need a large, deep skillet with a lid or a Dutch oven to fit this recipe comfortably.
- Warm some olive oil in your skillet over medium heat and add the ground beef. Cook, stirring to break up the beef until it is crumbled and cooked through. Drain off the grease and return the skillet to the heat. Add the onion and garlic and continue to cook for a few minutes.
- Add a jar of your favorite marinara sauce, a can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes, a cup of water, some Italian seasoning and freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir the sauce and let it simmer for a short time to bring out the flavors.
- Add the package of uncooked tortellini and stir it into the meaty sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the tortellini is tender.
- When the tortellini is tender, remove the cover and stir in a little heavy cream. If you want to go lighter, you can substitute half and half. Cover the skillet and cook for a couple of minutes or just until the mixture is warmed through.
- Top the pasta with plenty of shredded Parmesan cheese and you are ready to serve.
I almost always serve this Meaty Tortellini Skillet with a big green salad or fresh green beans and a loaf of French bread.
It’s fast, it’s easy, it will make the kiddos happy and Mom and Dad will love it . A+++
More Easy One Pot Pasta Recipes
- Chicken and Spinach Skillet Pasta
- Philly Cheesesteak Pasta
- One-Pot Cheesy Cajun Pasta
- Cheesy Beef Skillet Pasta
- Skillet Sausage Pasta
- Skillet Lasagna
Meaty Tortellini Skillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef, or Italian sausage
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 25 ounce jar marinara sauce, (I like Mezzetta Marinara)
- 15 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 20 to 24 ounces refrigerated cheese tortellini or tortelloni, (I like Rana or Kirkland brand)
- ⅓ cup heavy cream or half and half
- ⅔ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- Add the olive oil to a large, deep sauté pan or Dutch oven and place it over MEDIUM heat. Add the beef (or sausage) and cook, stirring, until crumbled and browned. Drain off as much grease as possible and return the skillet to the heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened. Add the marinara, diced tomatoes, water, Italian Seasoning, and pepper. Stir to combine the mixture well. Stir in the uncooked tortellini. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to MEDIUM-LOW, cover, and simmer for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the tortellini is tender.
- Stir in the cream (or half and half), cover and allow to simmer for a few minutes or until warmed through. Sprinkle with ⅓ cup Parmesan and serve with remaining Parmesan on the side.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.
Valerie’s Kitchen will be donating a percentage of profits to charities that are helping aid families in need during this challenging time. This month that charity is World Central Kitchen who through their #ChefsForAmerica nationwide emergency food relief program, is committing to purchasing 1 million meals from local restaurants, and delivering those meals directly to Americans that need assistance.
Questions and Reviews
Wonder if can use mini cheese ravioli??
Can I use a pkg of un refrigerated tortellini? I gave everything available except refrigerated tortellini???
This came together quick and it was delicious, thanks for an easy dinner!
Delicious! Everyone in the family had seconds. It was so easy to make too. I used a jar of Paesana Tomato and Basil marinara also from Costco and I threw in some sliced mushrooms and fresh chopped spinach for some added veggies. This one’s a keeper!
Love your additions. Thanks, Elle!
THIS IS SOOO GOOD, WE HAVE MADE IT TWICE!!! I GIVE THIS A 5 STAR!!!
I made this tonight and my his and I love it!