I’m pretty excited to share this rustic, satisfying Italian dish with you today. To top it off, I have a very nice gift for one lucky reader that I’ll explain more in just a bit. But first, let’s talk about this super easy, family pleasing, Skillet Chicken Parmesan.
You might think of Chicken Parmesan as a meal best left for weekends when you have more time to spend in the kitchen, but because I refuse to contain my desire to weekends, I’ve simplified things. My version is an easy, one skillet meal you can easily pull together on a busy weeknight. We just can’t have enough of those, can we?
I feed quite a few Italian food lovers around here and over the years I’ve tried more than a few recipes for Chicken Parm. Time and time again, I’ve found that if you immerse breaded, fried chicken in tomato sauce, as most recipes call for, it has the tendency to get soggy. My solution is to skip the breading process altogether and instead the chicken is seasoned and lightly sauteed in olive oil. A bread crumb and Parmesan cheese mixture is added as a topping just before it goes in the oven to create a similar affect without the sogginess. It’s also cleaner, easier, and faster to put together.
This time around I prepared it in this beauty, my new 11″ double handled Gastrolux saute pan. Pretty, isn’t it? Gastrolux is the maker of extremely high quality cookware that is manufactured in Denmark. They were generous enough to send this pan my way and they’re not stopping there. One lucky winner will receive the pan of their choice from Gastrolux. That’s right, you get to shop! I know, it’s thrilling isn’t it?
As soon as I pulled this pan out of the box I could feel the quality. It has a nice weight to it and I can tell it will be in my cupboard for years to come. I love how deep it is, the fact that it can go from stovetop to oven, and comes with a heavy duty domed glass lid. The non-stick surface is like no other I’ve cooked with. It is seriously non-stick; you’ll only need to add fat for flavor. My Chicken Parm cooked up beautifully and I already know this will become one of my most beloved pans.
Let’s make some Chicken Parm and then we can get into the nitty gritty about the giveaway. As always, the printable recipe appears all the way down at the end of this post.
We’ll start by combining the dry seasonings in a small bowl. We have salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, and oregano.
Next we’ll combine the Italian style panko bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in another small bowl.
Give it a stir and set it aside for later.
Cut the chicken in half, right through the center like I’m doing here. Continue the cut through until you have two thin pieces. Repeat this with the remaining chicken. This recipe calls for two boneless breasts but you could easily throw in a third if you’ve got a big skillet and more people to feed.
Add a couple tablespoons olive oil to a large, deep, ovenproof skillet and place it over medium high heat. When the oil is nice and hot, carefully add the chicken. Cook for about three minutes on each side, sprinkling both sides with the dry seasoning mix as it cooks.
We are only trying to get a nice golden brown sear on the chicken at this point, not completely cook it through.
Pour the marinara sauce around the chicken and ladle a little over each piece.
Add a slice of fresh mozzarella to each piece of chicken. I give you my permission to add more cheese if you’d like. More cheese is never a bad idea.
Time to sprinkle on the bread crumb and Parmesan cheese mixture and pop it in a really hot 475 degree oven for about 8 to 10 minutes.
Watch it closely and pull it out when the cheese has melted, the chicken is cooked throughout, and the bread crumbs are nicely browned.
I can’t imagine chicken parm without pasta so boil up any dry pasta you happen to have on hand and toss it with a little olive oil and Parmesan cheese. Any variety of dry pasta is great with this.
A gorgeous, mouthwatering dish that you can have on the table in under thirty minutes.
On to the fun part! For this giveaway, Gastrolux is featuring eight pan styles in different sizes that range in price from $149 to $399 and the choice is yours! Click on the link (here) and go shopping and then return to complete the steps below.
You must complete both of the following steps to be eligible to win: After visiting the Gastrolux website and choosing your favorite pan, return to this post and leave a comment (at the bottom of the post, after the recipe) letting me know which pan you would chose for yourself and why. Head on over and Like Gastrolux on Facebook. Leave a comment on their Facebook page and let them know Valerie sent you. If you’ve previously Liked Gastrolux on Facebook, please still leave a comment on their page in order to be eligible to win.
Giveaway closes on Sunday, July 14 at 11:59 p.m. PST . Winner will be chosen at random and contacted by email on Monday, July 15. If winner does not claim their prize within 48 hours, another winner will be selected.
Contest is open to U.S. residents only.
Good luck to everyone!!!
This giveaway is sponsored by Gastrolux Cookware who provided me with a pan in addition to the one I am giving away. All opinions expressed on From Valerie’s Kitchen are solely my own.
Skillet Chicken Parmesan
A rustic Italian one skillet meal that goes from stove top to oven to table in 30 minutes.
- 1 (16 ounce) package dry pasta of your choice prepared according to package directions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dry rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1/2 cup Italian style panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup shredded or shaved Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (24 ounce) jar prepared marinara sauce
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella (approximately 4 ounces)
- Additional olive oil and Parmesan cheese to toss with cooked pasta
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Prepare dry pasta according to package directions and allow it to boil while preparing the chicken.
- In a small bowl combine salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, and oregano. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl combine the Italian style bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Set aside.
- Slice each chicken breast into 2 pieces by butterflying the breast and continue the cut all the way through. You will have 4 thin pieces.
- Coat the bottom of a large, deep, oven-proof skillet with about 2 tablespoons olive oil and place over medium high heat. Saute chicken till nicely browned on both sides but not cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. As chicken cooks, season each side with seasoning mixture. After chicken has browned, pour the marinara sauce in the pan around the chicken, ladling some of the sauce over the top of each piece. Top each piece of chicken with a thin slice of fresh mozzarella and sprinkle the bread crumb topping over the top.
- Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake uncovered for 5 to 10 minutes or till chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in center, cheese has melted, and bread crumb topping is browned.
- Serve over your choice of prepared dry pasta that has been tossed with a little olive oil and Parmesan cheese.