Being from California, and being a lover of cole slaw, I had to try a recipe I came across while surfing around on Allrecipes a couple of years ago. It is the inspiration behind this recipe but besides the addition of bell pepper and onion, I have strayed far from the original. I can’t help myself! I’ve replaced the oil and vinegar dressing with a creamy, but lightened up cole slaw dressing. I also use bagged cole slaw mix and shredded carrot because it makes it so darn easy…and, well, because I don’t want to shred stuff.
So let’s get our California on. Ready dude? Don’t you hate it when people call you dude? Boy #4 went through a stage where he would call me dude.
“Dude, Mom…” Just like that. I kid you not.
Now you all know how it feels. Thankfully, he has moved past the dude stage.
The grocery list – a bag of 3 color cole slaw, shredded carrot (you can shred your own or buy the handy dandy bagged type like I have here) red and green bell pepper, white onion, sour cream, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper.
Here I am again, using light sour cream and mayo made with olive oil, but go with what you like. I like less fat and calories! Leaves room for more chocolate cake. Or red wine. Or both.
In a small bowl, mix together the sour cream, mayonnaise, cider vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper.
Dice the bell peppers and white onion. You should have close to the same amounts of each.
Now you just throw it all together in a large mixing bowl. The cole slaw, carrots, bell peppers, and onion. This is why I love to use the bagged cole slaw and shredded carrot. Less work.
Pour on about half of the dressing.
Toss the salad to mix the dressing in well. Add only as much of the remaining dressing as needed to suit your taste. If there is any dressing remaining, cover and refrigerate it for later. Cover the bowl with some plastic wrap and refrigerate the cole slaw for at least an hour or till ready to serve.
Sweet! Just before you serve, add reserved dressing if needed.
Does this salad say California or what? It is great served on barbecue beef sandwiches or along side any summer meal.
- Servings: 8
- ¼ cup sour cream (light or regular)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (light or regular)
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) bag 3 color cole slaw
- ½ small white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- Combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the 3 color cole slaw, diced onion, chopped bell peppers, and shredded carrot. Pour about half of the dressing over the top and toss to combine well. Add as much of the remaining dressing to dress the cole slaw to your liking. Cover and refrigerate any remaining dressing.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or till ready to serve. Just before serving, toss with reserved dressing, if desired.
- Inspired by Allrecipes.com