This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I’ve got a plan for dinner tonight that involves a simple list of ingredients including pasta, chicken, and fresh spinach. It’s made all in one skillet and it will be on your table in about 30 minutes. This Chicken and Spinach Skillet Pasta is what I call a solid plan.
This post was originally published October 23, 2014 and has been updated with a new video.
If you’ve read this blog for any length of time you know I’m pretty crazy about fast and easy one-pot meals. It stems from the “life is complicated, dinner shouldn’t be” philosophy that I’ve adopted over the years. After serving many of these simple, delicious meals to my family, I’ve determined that complicated does not necessarily mean better.
Ever since that momentous day when I discovered you could throw dry pasta into a pot with a slew of other ingredients and end up with a delicious result, things have never quite been the same around here. I’ve experimented with all kinds of different pasta, meats, and veggies and the recipe has risen to the top as one of my favorites.
I hope you’ll try it and love it as much as we do!
Chicken and Spinach Skillet Pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 14.5 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces approximately 2-1/2 cups uncooked, dry (uncooked) penne pasta
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper or to taste
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a 12-inch deep skillet or sauté pan and place it over MEDIUM heat. Add the chopped chicken and cook, stirring frequently. Sprinkle chicken with Italian seasoning, a touch of salt, and fresh ground pepper, and continue cooking for 3 or 4 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm. Add remaining olive oil to the pan and add the onions. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes, until softened and lightly browned. Add garlic and cook for a minute or two until fragrant.
- Add broth, tomatoes, pasta, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Stir in the cooked chicken and bring to a boil, cover skillet, and reduce heat to MEDIUM-LOW. Simmer until the pasta is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in half and half and mozzarella and simmer for minute or two until warmed through and the cheese has melted.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the fresh spinach until it wilts from the heat of the pasta. Top with Parmesan and serve.