This Awesome Burger Sauce adds that classic, all-American flavor to your favorite burger recipe. You’ll want to make extra to serve alongside as a fry dipping sauce!
My husband and I fondly refer to our son, Connor (aka Boy #3) as the condiment King. He’s always mixing up all kinds of sauces to spread on burgers and sandwiches and he is the inspiration behind this recipe. Sauces are his specialty. Or should I say, sauces are his jam (I just felt the eye rolls from every single one of my children….)
And, I’m with Connor. Honestly, why would we eat our burgers naked when we could slather them in this Awesome Burger Sauce? It will make the burgers at your next summer BBQ reach a whole new level of delicious.
This is my version of classic burger sauce, the thousand island-ish type of sauce that is commonly served on burgers at restaurants all over. What takes this recipe over the top to reach “awesome” status are a few simple ingredients that really amp up the flavor.
How to Make the Best Burger Sauce
The sauce has a mayonnaise base with a little ketchup and yellow mustard mixed in. The remaining ingredients are what make it special.
- Yellow mustard
- BBQ sauce – Adding a touch of prepared BBQ sauce really amps up the flavor and adds a delectable component to this sauce.
- Sweet pickle relish OR pickle juice – For that classic, burger joint flavor, I love this sauce with sweet pickle relish. If you don’t want to use pickle relish or don’t have it on hand, you can substitute pickle juice straight from the jar to get that briny goodness. For a kick, try it with spicy pickle juice from a brand like Wickles.
- Smoked paprika – Smoked paprika ups the smoky BBQ flavor.
- Garlic powder and onion powder
The sauce can be used immediately or transferred to an airtight container and refrigerated for 3 to 4 days.
Check out my Best Turkey Burger Recipe to find out how to make the juicy burgers pictured in this post. I’ve been feeding my family these turkey burgers for a well over a decade and they are seriously the best! Or, try my Classic Beef Burgers for flavorful steakhouse style burgers at home.
This sauce is not just for burgers. It makes a delicious French fry dipping sauce and you can use any leftovers as a sandwich spread. Double the recipe so you’ll have plenty on hand if you’ve got a group coming.
Awesome Burger Sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon BBQ sauce, (I like Kinder's)
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish or spicy pickle juice
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Combine all the ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
- Use immediately or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use. Keeps well refrigerated for several days.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is an estimate not a guarantee. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.