This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A simple, old-fashioned cake that goes perfectly with a cup of tea in the afternoon or with your scrambled eggs and coffee at breakfast. Blackberry Buttermilk Snack Cake is a lightly sweet, incredibly moist treat.
I love old-timey cakes like this. They are not complex or overdone. They are not loaded with sugar but are just sweet enough to satisfy. And, finally, they look gorgeous on the table. Take a good look because this one will disappear very, very quickly.
The simple buttermilk cake base is downright velvety and the perfect backdrop for big, ripe blackberries. A little powdered sugar sprinkled over the top pulls it all together perfectly.
Time to stop talking about it and start making it. Let’s get baking!
Use an electric mixer to cream together 1/2 cup unsalted butter and 1 cup sugar. Add one egg, a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and the zest of an orange and continue mixing until well combined.
The dry ingredients consist of 2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix them together in a separate bowl and then add the dry mixture in increments…
… alternating with the 1 cup of buttermilk, a little at a time. Beat the mixture after each addition and continue until all of both have been added.
The batter is velvety smooth and the finished product will be too.
Transfer the cake batter to a 9″ or 10″ baking dish that has been coated with non-stick cooking spray. Drop the berries on top of the cake batter, spacing them out evenly. Press them lightly into the batter – they’ll sink in completely as the cake bakes.
Bake the cake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
Allow the cake to cool for about 30 minutes (if you can!) and then sprinkle the surface with powdered sugar and serve.
Blackberry Buttermilk Snack Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh blackberries rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 1 to 2 tablespoons powdered confectioners sugar, or as needed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- or 10-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla extract, and orange zest and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl use a spoon to mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk, beating with the electric mixer until combined. Transfer cake batter to prepared baking dish. Drop blackberries on top of batter, spacing out evenly (they will sink as cake bakes).
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Allow to cool for about 30 minutes then sprinkle top of cake with powdered sugar and serve.