This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwiches have tender chicken with a crispy, seasoned crust, topped with ham, melted Swiss cheese and a lightened up honey-mustard sauce.
Say hello to one of the most popular sandwiches in our household. Hello sandwich.
My boys love them. We love them. There’s a whole lotta lovin’ going on.
Chicken Cordon Bleu typically has a fat and calorie laden sauce so I’ve switched it out with a lightened up honey-mustard sauce that is packed full of flavor. My inspiration for these Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwiches came from something I stumbled across on Allrecipes years ago and it has evolved into something really special that is a regular on our dinner menu.
- Light sour cream
- prepared yellow mustard
- honey, olive oil
- Italian style panko bread crumbs
- garlic powder
- baby spinach
- deli ham
- sliced swiss cheese
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- baguettes or sandwich rolls
I’m crazy about these Progresso Italian Style Panko Bread Crumbs and keep them in my pantry at all times. Panko crumbs have a lighter, airier texture since they are made with bread that has had the crusts removed. When used for breading, they result in a nice crunchy coating.
I found these seeded baguettes in the bakery section at my grocery store. Cut them to the size of your chicken breasts. You can use any type of sandwich roll but I love baguettes for this recipe.
The Honey-Mustard Sauce
Measure the light sour cream, mustard, and honey into a small bowl. A quick tip for measuring out sticky substances like honey or molasses – coat your measuring cup with non-stick cooking spray.
This will ensure that the honey will release easily from the measuring cup and you’ll get the entire amount without having to scrape it out with a spoon.
You will have more sauce than needed for this recipe but it can easily be scaled in half if you like. I make a lot because my boys love this stuff. It’s a great dip for chicken nuggets and it’s fantastic on burgers and sandwiches of all kinds.
How to Slice Chicken Breasts
First we’ll deal with the chicken. I’m not one for pounding chicken breasts. Instead, slice through the chicken breast from the edge at the thickest point.
Run the knife through the chicken and use your other hand to pull the chicken up and away. Luckily, just in the nick of time, Boy #3 happened to walk in the door and he was enlisted to take chicken photos. Thanks sweetie.
You have butterflied a chicken breast. Congratulations. Continue the cut all the way through so that you have two pieces, close to the same size.
Voila! You have 6 from what was once 3! These thinner pieces will cook much more quickly and evenly and are just the right size for our sandwiches.
Grab a couple of pie plates or other rimmed dishes. In one, mix together the panko bread crumbs, garlic powder, and paprika.
Pour the buttermilk into the second dish.
Generously coat the bottom of a large pan with olive oil and place over medium heat. Don’t be stingy with the oil or the breading may stick to the bottom of the pan.
Buttermilk works so well for breading chicken. It has a velvety, thick texture to it and it adds some nice flavor to boot. Coat a piece of chicken on both sides with buttermilk.
Then dredge the buttermilk coated piece of chicken through the seasoned bread crumbs, coating each side well.
In the pan they go. Do them in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan. My big pan will do 3 at a time.
Let them go 3 or 4 minutes on each side, or till nicely golden brown.
Transfer the cooked chicken to a rimmed baking sheet that has been lined with foil and sprayed with a little non-stick cooking spray. Repeat this process with the remaining chicken.
Slice 6 pieces of Swiss cheese in half.
Let’s put it all together. Layer each piece of chicken with a piece of deli ham that has been folded in half.
Then the cheese.
Ready for the oven.
Let them go in a 375 degree F oven for about 6 to 8 minutes or until they are a vision of melty goodness.
How to Serve
To assemble the sandwiches place a piece of chicken on your sliced baguette.
Top with some of the honey-mustard sauce.
Some of the baby spinach.
Now we’ve got something! Substantial enough for dinner.
Any football fans in your house? This is just the thing for those football watching days. Quick, casual, and easy, yet amazing!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwiches
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces Italian style panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 slices deli ham
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 6 sandwich length baguettes
- baby spinach
- olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Whisk together sour cream, yellow mustard, and honey in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Butterfly the chicken by slicing into it at the thickest edge and pulling the knife all the way through. Continue the cut until you have cut the chicken in half. You will have 6 pieces of chicken.
- Pour buttermilk into a pie plate. Pour bread crumbs into a separate pie plate and season with garlic powder and paprika.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat; add olive oil.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the buttermilk and then coat with bread crumbs and place in skillet. Cook chicken breasts, about 3 or 4 minutes on each side, or until nicely golden brown. Cook chicken in batches, to avoid over crowding your pan, adding more olive oil as needed. Transfer cooked chicken to a foil lined, rimmed baking sheet that has been coated with non-stick cooking spray.
- Top each piece of chicken with a piece of ham and a slice of cheese and transfer baking sheet to the oven. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until cheese is melted and chicken is thoroughly cooked through.
- Slice baguettes to desired length.
- Place one piece of chicken on each baguette and top with the honey-mustard sauce and spinach, if desired.