This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Italian Chicken Subs are piled high with seasoned chicken, sauteed veggies, melted provolone and a unique sandwich spread that adds a tangy kick and puts this sandwich over the top!
I’ve got a thing for sub style sandwiches.
Sometimes it just feels like a sandwich kind of night and in order to satisfy the people I feed in this house it’s got to be hearty and flavorful. I’m adding this recipe to my collection today and it it’s sliding in nicely, right next to my Slow Cooker Drip Beef Sandwiches and my Crock-Pot Chicken Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches – also delicious choices!
Although it bears some similarity to the others, there is something pretty special about this tasty sub that sets it apart from anything I’ve ever done before.
The most interesting component to this recipe is the incredibly simple but unbelievably flavorful Giardiniera Sandwich Spread. It consists of just two ingredients, takes a minute to put together, and stores nicely in the fridge for a week or more.
Get the recipe HERE.
Lets make some Italian Chicken Subs!
I love to use a cast iron pan to sear chicken and other meats. Ignore the fact that there are just two lonely pieces of chicken in that pan. Use up to 6 pieces, depending on how many you’re feeding. Thin-sliced chicken will work best so slice them through the center if you’ve got the thicker cut.
The chicken is cooked in olive oil over medium-high heat and seasoned with a little garlic pepper, oregano, and salt.
Remove the cooked chicken from the pan and add a touch more olive oil. Add a couple of sliced red bell peppers, a sliced onion, and some minced garlic to the fond in the pan. What the heck is fond? Fond is what is left behind in the pan after you cook your meat and it is your best friend when cooking veggies. Browned bits of meat and sauce and trace amounts of the seasonings you used is going to add so much flavor of your veggies.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until the peppers and onions have softened.
Spread a good layer of the sandwich spread on a hoagie bun and layer it with the cooked chicken and veggies. Top the subs with a slice of provolone, an excellent cheese that melts wonderfully, and pop it under the broiler until it’s toasty and melted and fabulous!
Italian Chicken Subs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 4 to 6 thin-sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons garlic pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- salt to taste
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 white or yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 to 6 hoagie rolls
- 4 to 6 slices provolone cheese
- 1 recipe
- Giardiniera Sandwich Spread
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to skillet and place over MEDIUM-HIGH heat. Add chicken. Season with half the garlic pepper and oregano, and salt to taste. Cook for 3 minutes or until nicely seared and golden brown on one side. Flip and season with remaining seasoning. Continue to cook until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in center. Remove pan from heat and transfer chicken to cutting board to rest.
- Return pan to heat and add remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add sliced bell peppers and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for several minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook until bell pepper and onion have softened and are fork tender. Remove from heat.
- Slice chicken and set oven to BROIL.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading a couple of tablespoons of the Giardiniera Sandwich Spread over both sides of a hoagie roll. Layer with sliced chicken, sauteed peppers and onions, and a slice of provolone cheese.
- Place assembled sandwiches on a large baking sheet and pop them under the broiler for just a minute or two, until cheese has melted and edges of hoagie bun are toasted.
- Inspired by: The Best Simple Recipes|America's Test Kitchen
Valerie’s Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. For more information on our site policies click HERE.