These Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie Bars are a rich, dark take on the classic holiday treat.
I’m sharing SCHARFFEN BERGER in my life as part of a sponsored series with Socialstars.
I hope you all had a fabulous Thanksgiving with friends, family, delicious food and hopefully, a little time to relax.
As our boys move into their adult lives, it gets a little harder each year to get everyone home for the holidays. We weren’t sure it was going to happen for us right up until the last minute, but they did it! I’ve been in full mama-mode and feeling extremely grateful to have all four of them here with us for Thanksgiving.
Today I’m sharing an irresistible take on an old favorite recipe as we shift gears to the holiday baking season.
For these Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie Bars, I started with my mom’s incredible shortbread crust recipe as the base layer and while still hot from the oven, I topped it with a gooey, chocolaty, bourbon-spiked pecan topping that is downright heavenly.
SCHARFFEN BERGER 100% Unsweetened Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder and a touch of bourbon add complexity and a delicious depth of flavor to this recipe.
I can’t say enough about this rustic, grown-up take on pecan pie bars.
I’m also thrilled to report that they freeze beautifully! I made and froze them over a week before Thanksgiving, thawed them overnight in the refrigerator, and they were a perfectly fresh and delicious addition to my dessert offerings. Such a fabulous aspect to holiday recipes.
I’m excited to be working as an Ambassador for SCHARFFEN BERGER Chocolate because… CHOCOLATE!
But, not just any chocolate.
SCHARFFEN BERGER produces high-quality chocolate in a socially responsible way. They are a Rainforest Alliance Certified™ chocolate maker and work to conserve biodiversity and promote the rights and well-being of workers, their families and communities. Their cacao beans are sourced from small cocoa farms and blended to create distinct, complex flavors worthy of all your holiday recipes.
These bars will make a memorable addition to your holiday cookie trays and I just love dessert recipes you can bake in a 13″ x 9″ pan to serve at gatherings at home or away. They’re easy to transport and I’ve included the make-ahead and freeze instructions on the recipe card below if you’d like to get one task out of the way at this busy time of year.
Far easier to prepare than pie and you can still serve them à la mode!
Click HERE to sign up for your FREE email subscription and never miss a recipe!
Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie Bars
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup SCHARFFEN BERGER 100% Unsweetened Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs lightly whisked
- 2 tablespoons bourbon whiskey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, use an electric hand mixer to blend together softened butter, all-purpose flour and powdered sugar. Mix for about 3 minutes until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9" x 13" inch pan. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or till lightly golden at edges.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan over LOW heat, melt butter with water. Stir in cocoa powder, beating well to combine. Remove from heat. Stir in corn syrup and sugar. Add eggs in a thin stream, beating well to combine. Stir in bourbon, vanilla, and pecans.
- Pour topping evenly over hot crust. Return pan to oven and bake for 25 to 28 minutes or until center is set.
- Allow to cool completely in pan then cut into squares. Store in an airtight container and they will be fresh and delicious for several days.
Stack bars in a freezer-safe container between layers of foil or wax paper, ending with a top layer of foil. Place lid on container and freeze for up to 2 to 3 months. Thaw completely overnight in the refrigerator before serving.