I recently got my hands on The Foster’s Market Cookbook and fell in love instantly. This cookbook is right up my alley. It’s chock full full of “simple yet soulful” recipes that take advantage of seasonal ingredients. The cookbook author, Sara Foster, is the founder and owner of Foster’s Markets, two charming cafe takeout shops in North Carolina. Her cookbook features many of the recipes for the items they serve. Check out Foster’s Market online for more information and additional recipes.
I chose this muffin recipe as my first (but definitely not last) recipe to try from the book. I almost always have all of these ingredients on hand and I knew just from looking that they would go over well in my house. I love the method of toasting the oats for a bit in the oven. I’ve added my own method for scooping the batter with a measuring cup coated with cooking spray. It ensures the muffins will be equal in size. It’s a clean and easy way to get the job done.
You will love the end result. A sweet, gorgeous muffin that is nice any time of day but especially good in the morning with a cup of coffee.
Oatmeal-Banana Muffins with Chocolate Chips
- 1-1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2-1/2 cups all- purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 12 tablespoons 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 2 very ripe bananas mashed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line 12 large muffin cups with paper liners or spray with cooking spray.
- Place the oats on a rimmed baking sheet and lightly toast. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the oats, flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and stir to mix.
- Whisk together the sugar, butter, eggs, bananas, buttermilk and oil in a separate bowl until well blended.
- Combine the two mixtures and stir just until all the dry ingredients are moist. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spray a 1/3 cup dry measure with cooking spray. Scoop out a heaping 1/3 cup of batter to fill each cup in your muffin tin. You may need to spray the measuring cup with additional cooking spray if batter begins sticking.
- Place in the oven to bake 25 to 30 minutes, until the tops of the muffins spring back when touched. remove from the oven and let cool slightly. serve warm.
- Adapted from The Foster's Market Cookbook