This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Cookies for breakfast? When they are packed full of wholesome goodness the answer is a BIG yes!
You can’t beat a good portable breakfast recipe and I’ve got a pretty spectacular one for you today.
Although I’ve dubbed these “Breakfast Cookies” they are also excellent with a hot cup of tea for a healthy mid-afternoon snack. And, the kids will love ’em. They may give you that “I think Mom has lost her mind” look when you tell them they can eat a couple of cookies for breakfast, but that’s just part of the fun, now, isn’t it? We don’t want to be too predictable. We need to keep these people on their toes!
The brand new Nature Valley™ Toasted Oats Muesli, available in both Original and Blueberry, is what makes these cookies both incredibly wholesome and easy to put together. I went with the Original variety in this recipe. It contains whole grain oats, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, raisins, toasted coconut, almond pieces, and pumpkin seeds. Instead of having to pull all these ingredients together for your recipes, they are packaged up neatly for you and the 11-ounce package just happens to contain the precise amount needed for a batch of these cookies.
Either delicious variety will work well in this recipe. Click HERE for your coupon!
Here is how it’s done.
In a large mixing bowl, beat together one overripe banana, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt, 1 egg, and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil.
In a separate bowl, whisk together 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add the entire dry mixture to the wet mixture and beat until well combined.
Add 2-1/2 cups muesli (one 11 ounce package) and use a spoon to combine the mixture.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and drop mounds of cookie dough about 2″ apart. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
I love the substantial, yet cake-like texture. They pack up well and keep very well for several days.
Soft-Bake Muesli Breakfast Cookies
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 overripe banana
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-1/2 cups one 11 ounce package [url]Nature Valley Toasted Oats Muesli, Original or Blueberry∞https://ooh.li/7f1c5fa[/url]
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the banana till completely smooth. Add brown sugar, yogurt, vegetable oil, egg, and vanilla with a mixer until well combined. Add flour mixture and mix again until well incorporated. Using a wooden spoon, stir in muesli.
- Drop cookie dough by the spoonful in mounds about 2" apart on parchment paper-lined cookie sheets. Bake for 10 to 11 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on cookies sheets for a minute or two then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.