Last week I shared my make at home version of Restaurant Style Mexican Rice. Today I’m going to show you one of my favorite ways to make use of the leftovers.
I’m not letting any of that delicious rice go to waste. No sir.
I’m using the same no oil, oven “fry” method for these cute little burritos that I use for my Baked Chicken Taquitos. It results in a toasty, crisped tortilla – all the satisfaction, less guilt. This simpler bean and rice version is an excellent choice to serve to the football watching crowd or to have on hand in the fridge for a quick reheat when the kids get home from school.
Let’s get to it.
Grab a small mixing bowl and combine a can of refried beans with a couple of tablespoons of your favorite variety of store bought salsa and a teaspoon of taco seasoning. I always have my own mixture on hand but use the packaged variety if you please.
Place the entire stack of tortiallas in the microwave and warm them for about 20 seconds, just to soften them a bit. It will make them far easier to roll and they are likely to crack if they are cold from the fridge.
Layer a tortilla with a couple tablespoons of refried beans and top with some of the Mexican rice.
Sprinkle on some of the cheddar and jack cheese.
On to the handy, dandy, rolling method. Fold in each side. I would normally use two hands to do this but somebody’s got to take the pictures around here.
Begin to roll…
…continuing until you have a nice little burrito.
Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and generously coat it with non-stick cooking spray. Transfer the burritos to the prepared baking sheet and spray the tops and sides with some more non-stick cooking spray. Transfer the pan to a preheated 400 degree oven.
After they’ve baked for 10 minutes, use tongs to flip them over and let them bake another 5 or 10 minutes till they are toasty and golden brown on both sides.
Serve right away or allow them to cool and bag them up in a plastic storage bag to keep in the fridge. These are great to reheat individually in the microwave for a quick snack or light meal.
Cheesy Baked Bean and Rice Burritos
10 small burritos
A no oil, oven "fry" baking method results in crispy, satisfying little burritos.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Generously coat a foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine refried beans, taco seasoning, and salsa. Set aside.
- Warm the entire stack of 10 tortillas in the microwave for about 20 seconds just to soften them slightly. Lay a tortilla on a cutting board or other work surface and place a couple tablespoons of refried bean mixture down the center of the tortilla. Layer with a couple tablespoons of the rice and then top with some grated cheese. Fold in the both sides and then roll the tortilla up. Place seam side down on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Coat the tops of the burrito with additional non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. Pull baking sheet out of the oven and using tongs, flip each burrito over to brown the other side. Return to the oven for an additional 5 or 10 minutes or till nicely browned on both sides.
- Serve with additional salsa and sour cream on the side.